Today was a productive day for me. After I got the girls ready for school I started making oatmeal-potato bread. It's an old recipe handed down from my Grandma Amy. She never measured anything when she baked so it was difficult to get her recipe. Finally, a few years ago I came over to her apartment and watched her make it. We guessed on the measurements, and the bread is wonderful. It takes about 4 hours, from start to finish, as she lets the dough rise three times, but the time spent is well worth it. It's been almost one year exactly since she passed away, and I am so thankful to have this recipe, as a fond memory of her. I made two loaves, a big one to freeze and a smaller one for BLT sandwiches tomorrow.
Monday, June 11, 2007
Baking & Cleaning
Steve's parents (Grandma Pat & Papa Mike) are visiting us this weekend from Tennessee. In addition, Steve's brother (Uncle Gene) and his two kids Maddy & Bad are coming in from Indy. Bad's name is really Thad, but Kylie pronounces it "Bad." We haven't seen Gene and the kids since Kylie's birthday party back in October, so I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone. Thursday is Pat's birthday, so we have one more reason to celebrate. We'll have a lot of fun!
Posted by
E R I C A
at
3:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh my gosh, I think I can smell the bread through the computer! You achieved the right denseness, It looks just like Grandma Amy's. I have never been able to make her bread although I've tried many times over the years. I remember Amy would start her bread early Saturday mornings and if your dad and I timed it right we would arrive just in time to get a piece smothered with butter. If I was really, really lucky I would get the end piece (my favorite).
PS: It was not until later years that Amy made bread with her Kitchen Aid. Before that she made the dough by hand which was a tedious task that she enjoyed for some reason. I never had the patience for all that kneading, rising, punching, rising which could explain why my bread always flopped.
Post a Comment