Thursday, April 12, 2007

April 5th - Heading Home!!!!!

This morning we awoke at 4:30 am from a wake-up call provided by the hotel. We had to have our suitcases in the hallway by 5, and to meet in the lobby at 5:50 to head to the airport. Once we got to the lobby, Sophie puked all over me, herself, her clothes, blanket and the snugli she was in. No time to change her, so she had to remain in pukey clothes. Ugh.

We left the Guangzhou airport and flew to Hong Kong. At Hong Kong, we had a 3-hour layover, and then it was time for the 14-hour plane ride to O'Hare. Sophie did really well, considering. The flight is now a blur. All I recall is getting up many times to change diarrhea diapers and make bottles. She slept a few hours on me, but every 10 minutes she'd get uncomfortable and start crying until I could shift her into a more comfortable position. The flight had some moments of turbulence. I'm freaked out about flying anyway, so I was really getting nauseous.

Finally we landed at O'Hare. We were supposed to have a 5-hour layover, but due to strong winds, our flight kept getting postponed. I ran out of diapers and bought some at the newspaper stand at the airport. Jenn and Chris from our group were also stranded at the airport for several hours, so we hung out with them, and it was nice to have a distraction from the long wait. After 8 horrible hours we boarded the plane to Cincinnati. As soon as we got on the plane, Sophie decided it was time for another diarrhea incident and I had to change her on the floor of the airplane. United didn't have a diaper changing table in their restroom! I swear, I can't stand United and vow never to fly with them again. What kind of airlines doesn't have a diaper changing pulldown table on their plane? Thank God the flight was smooth and without any turbulence. I don't think my stomach could have handled much more.

We landed in Cincinnati around midnight. Straigh ahead I could see my mom, Jim, Steve's parents and Kylie. I wanted to weep with joy, I was so relieved to be back, but I was too tired to do much of anything. Kylie saw me and started yipping with excitement. She ran over to us and gave Sophie a rattle she brought her. I missed my girl so much! I picked her up and was surprised at how big she is. For the past two weeks I've been carrying Sophie who is 15 pounds, and Kylie is 30 pounds.

Sophie did well in the carseat. When we got home she cried a little, which in turn caused Kylie to freak out and cry as well. Kylie was exhausted, so I put her in my bed with me. By this time it was almost 2 a.m. Steve went to White Castles and I swear that was the best cheeseburger I'd ever eaten!

There's no place like home.....

No comments: