Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Chef Kylie




On Memorial Day we had a good friend and neighbor Mary Lou over for dinner. We made Chicken Dijon, steamed rice and peas. Kylie was a big help in the kitchen, as you can see from the photos. She stirred the ingredients for the sauce and put the cheese slices on the chicken. She had fun doing it, but when she smelled the sauce she wrinkled her nose and said it "smelled like yuck." Steve, Mary Lou and I loved the meal. I've had the recipe for 20 years now, handed down from my Grandma Amy. She got it from a Julia Childs' cookbook. It's very easy to make, and tastes great. Here is the recipe:

Chicken Dijon


4 boneless chicken breasts


2 tbsp. sour cream


2 tbsp. dijon mustard


1/2 c. white wine or vermouth


1 can cream of chicken soup


4 slices of swiss cheese


1/2 c. buttered bread crumbs (I use dry Stove Top stuffing)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix sour cream, mustard, wine and soup in bowl. Set aside. In greased pan put uncooked chicken and then cheese on each breast. Pour sauce over the chicken and cheese, then sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Bake uncovered for an hour.

1 comment:

Nai-Nai said...

The recipe is a real keeper and excellent for company because it can be made ahead of time and put in the oven when needed. I did not know the recipe was from Amy. She was an excellent cook but could not make gravy worth a darn and was the first to admit it. I miss her homemade oatmeal bread and look forward to you teaching me how to make it. I can show you how to make her lemon sponge pudding (also from Julia Child) since I finally figured out the step she left out of the recipe she gave me.

Kylie was a big help to me when when you were in China. She liked tearing up the lettuce for the salad. She especially liked washing the dishes and the floor.